Nov 30, Kathmandu- A top official of the FIFA World Cup organizers have admitted for the first time that 400 to 500 laborers died in preparation for the World Cup.
This is the first time that Qatar has given such a large figure about the death of workers. The figures given so far were much less than this.
According to the news published in an English newspaper, Qatar's top leader Hassan Al-Thawadi admitted this in an interview given to British journalist Piers Morgan.
Thawadi said, "This number is between four hundred and five hundred. I don't have the exact number, but it has been discussed. But to be clear, the death of one person is too much".
According to Thawadi, among those who died, there were workers involved in the construction of stadiums, roads, hotels, and other infrastructure for the World Cup.
Earlier it was said that the number of people who lost their lives during the preparations for the World Cup was between 37 and 40. Along with this, Qatar has been saying that they died due to heart attack.
After receiving permission to host the World Cup football in 2010, Qatar has started to build its infrastructure.
It is also considered to be the most expensive World Cup ever as it cost more than 200 billion dollars.