January 31, Kathmandu
Reconstruction of the historic Sindhuligadhi Durbar (Queen's Palace) has begun. Reconstruction of Sindhuligadhi Durbar in Kamalamai Municipality-3 of Sindhuli has been started at a cost of Rs. 438.99 million.
The Sindhuli Municipality of Kamalamai Municipality and the Bagmati Provincial Government Tourism Development Project has started the construction of the palace to be completed within 16 months. Mayor of Kamalamai Municipality Khadga Bahadur Khatri informed that Tulsi / Arisa JV Bhaktapur has been given the responsibility of rebuilding the palace.
The construction work of the palace has been started in Magh 8 with a total cost of Rs 43.89 million. An agreement has been reached to complete the reconstruction work by Jestha 19, 2079, he said.
Gadhi Durbar, known as the administrative base of the former region No. 2, was built by Bamvir Bikram Rana, son of Bam Bahadur Rana, brother of the then Shri 3 Maharaj Jung Bahadur Rana.
Gadhi Durbar, which was brought under national ownership after the end of Rana rule in 2004 BS, was reduced to rubble after the district headquarters Sindhulimadhi was shifted in 2020 BS. Due to the lack of protection for a long time, the physical structures of the palace and the fort were being destroyed.
Before 2020 BS, Sindhuli district headquarters was in Sindhuligadhi. At that time, Nepal Army and police provided security. Since the then Maoists attacked the police post in Sindhuligadhi in 2052 BS and declared armed people's war, no security post has been set up there since then.
However, after the local level election, Kamalamai Nagar has started reconstruction by giving priority to Sindhuligadhi. Accordingly, the construction of the Sindhuligadhi palace has been started in the old style keeping in mind the historical and archeological significance of the palace, said Mayor Khatri.
Sindhuligadhi fort is considered to be the historical site where Shri Harsh Pant, Banshraj Pandey, and Banshu Gurung, who led the army of Nepali heroic Gorkhalis, defeated the British army on Kartik 24 1824 BS and preserved the sovereignty and integrity of Nepal.
According to Sakar Kumar Dhakal, a fort expert, Kamalamai has given high priority to the reconstruction, protection, and promotion of Sindhuligadhi.
The first war museum in Nepal is in the final stages of construction with the objective of making Sindhuligadhi an international destination. The museum is being constructed by the Nepal Army. The installation of the statue of Prithvi Narayan Shah, picnic spots, siege, and other works have been completed and the construction of a mausoleum has been started at the place where the British died during the Nepal-British war.
Experts say that Sindhuligadhi has historical significance as it is a historical place that saved Nepal from being colonized by the British due to the brave Gorkhali army. Sindhuligadhi is one of the top 100 tourist destinations announced by the government for the tourism year 2020. Former Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal Prachanda also inaugurated the Tourism Year 2020 from Sindhuligadhi.
Indian Rupee
U.S. Dollar
European Euro
UK Pound Sterling
Swiss Franc
Australian Dollar
Canadian Dollar
Singapore Dollar
Japanese Yen
Chinese Yuan
Saudi Arabian Riyal
Qatari Riyal
Thai Baht
UAE Dirham
Malaysian Ringgit
South Korean Won
Swedish Kroner
Danish Kroner
Hong Kong Dollar
Kuwaity Dinar
Bahrain Dinar